Our mission is to help the diverse population of undergraduate students at Florida State University develop the study skills and personal success habits that enhance learning and encourage the highest level of scholarship and academic achievement. We are committed to working with the university community to promote a culture of academic success, with the shared mission of helping students earn a college degree and develop effective lifelong learning skills.
The Academic Center for Excellence strives to be a university learning center that is recognized locally and nationally for providing the highest level of service and programs to the diverse undergraduate student population of Florida State University.
ACE Goals and Priorities:
Short Term (1 Year)
Cultivate a strong relationship with the undergraduate faculty across campus.
- Create a faculty brochure.
- Email letter to all faculty about ACE services and referrals.
- Email faculty in targeted courses for syllabus and testing schedules to inform tutoring schedules.
- Convene Faculty Liaisons meetings twice a year.
- Invite faculty to the tutor appreciation event in the fall.
- Give faculty the opportunity to evaluate ACE services and provide ongoing feedback.
Enhance general information and awareness of ACE as well as marketing for specific programs and services.
- Establish an ACE Communications/Marketing Committee.
- Establish a communications and marketing policy/plan for ACE, including evaluation strategies.
- Add news pieces about ACE to 'About ACE' link on website.
- Conduct an ACE Survey on most popular learning apps/technologies and disseminate results.
- Explore the possibility of a live camera in math tutoring.
- Explore the possibility of expanded exterior signage.
- Explore a marketing partnership with the Bookstore.
Apply for Level 2 CRLA Certification for our tutor training program.
- In collaboration with the Campus Tutoring Cooperative and the ACE faculty, create a training program that is consistent with Level 2 CRLA Certification. Emphasize topics such as self-regulation and study strategies that they can share with students.
- Complete the application process for Level 2 CRLA Certification.
Long Term (5 Years)
Enhance online learning opportunities for students.
- Meet with the Office of Distance Learning to collaborate on support for their students.
- Offer Personal Academic Consultations via Skype.
- Offer an online SLS1122 course.
- Develop short videos on selected learning/study topics.
- Research and develop a white paper regarding online tutoring platforms and potential for the future.
Initiate Supplemental Instruction (SI) to improve success rate in selected challenging courses.
- Research SI methodology, implementation/results at other institutions, and training opportunities.
- Develop a white paper outlining a proposal for a pilot SI program for the Dean and relevant departments to consider.
- Complete a pilot of SI and evaluate for further implementation.
Achieve local and national recognition for ACE with regard to the level and quality of services provided.
- Apply for national recognition/awards, including the NCLCA's Outstanding Learning Center Award and Website Award.
- Require each ACE staff member to create a professional development plan annually.
- Encourage ACE staff members to present, publish, and pursue relevant professional involvement and certifications, including NCLCA's Learning Center Leadership Certification.
- Continue to use Best Practices and CAS Standards for planning and program evaluation purposes.
- Schedule an external review of ACE by 1-2 Learning Center Directors from other institutions.
*Bolded text indicates a high priority to accomplish early in the 2-5 year period.